Sunday, August 24, 2008

Terrorist Fist Jab!

Played through Army of Two with my bro last night. Did the co-op campaign of course, since that's what the game was designed to be. I'll be honest, for being a run-and-gun mass action carnage-fest, I actually found that there was less awesome fighting in this game than in Mass Effect which is primarily an RPG. I was able to garner seven achievements on my first playthrough, one of which I would like to touch on: Man of Many Masks. Yes, I knew about this achievement, so I got it on purpose (I would have spent my $110,000 on shiny guns instead but they're harder to buy). Now, mind you, I appreciate having achievements based on unlockables. Most games have them in spades. What bothers me is when you put something into the game that is completely unimportant, and to justify its very existance, you attach an achievement to them. Obviously, I realize one could argue that the masks' purpose is similar to that of the flags with the slight difference being that they actually have a cosmetic purpose rather than just existing. But I doubt anyone would actually argue that with me over Army of Two.

So far, it's an interesting game, but not something I'd buy. Renting is cool though. Hopefully I can run through it a couple more times and rack up some extra achievements before I have to turn it in on Wednesday. If I do, joy. If not, meh...not worth spending another seven bucks over for another five nights.

Also, I would like to give major props to EA for this AMAZING piece of work. Thank you marketing geniuses and game comedians.

No comments: